Friday, May 22, 2009

Jay-Z Leaves Def Jam


Yeah I know you heard about this.. but no it finally happened. Jay-Z finally left Def Jam completely and is finally a 100 percent independent artist. You know how big that is? He started his own label called "Roc Nation", and his first album to drop will be "Blueprint 3". Owning all your masters is a beautiful thing!

fter more than a decade with Def Jam, the hip-hop mogul has officially parted ways with the label after buying out his contract for $5 million.

It was just a rumor Thursday morning (May 21), but Jay contacted YN's RapRadar.com later in the afternoon to confirm the news.

"I can honestly say, working with Doug Morris and L.A. Reid has been a unique and fulfilling experience, and I respect them immensely," Jay told the site. "I've been in the family for almost my entire career. Doug and I spoke directly and had one of the most unique 'negotiations' ever.

Jay said that negotiation included a coin toss. "Doug won the toss, but we both won in the end," Jay said. "I thank him for allowing me to be a completely independent artist. Not every artist can say they own or are given the opportunity to own all of their music.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on The Industry's Alternative Blog segment. For any advertising inquiries or more information on how you can be a part of "The Industry's Alternative Artist/Label roster hit me up at apex1da@gmail.com.

Peace and love and remember whenever you are looking for the true alternative of the regular commercial music industry standards... come to apex1da.com.